Eagles improve to 10-2

Layne Saliba

It was yet another winning weekend for Georgia Southern University baseball as they prevailed, going 3-1 over a four-game series featuring Ohio University and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.

Game 1 – GSU 2, Ohio 3

GSU came up short in the first game of the weekend series while going up against Ohio.

The first inning ended with both teams scoreless. However, Ohio gained one run off an error in the top of the second to make it a 1-0 ball game.

Although GSU turned a beautiful double-play in the top of the third inning, it did not stop a Bobcats run from scoring. The Eagles went down scoreless in the third bringing the score to 2-0.

At top of the fifth, Ohio tacked on one more run with a single up the middle. But the Eagles wouldn’t go down without a fight. Freshman Josh Black, currently hitting .438, reached on a fielder’s choice while getting the RBI as freshman Garrett Chapman, hitting .415, scored making it 3-1.

The score remained the same as they entered the bottom of the seventh inning. After four pitching changes for Ohio in this half-inning, and with one out, junior catcher Chase Griffin took the sacrifice fly to center field as Black scored.

That was it for both teams offensively as neither was able to score another run.  Junior pitcher Sam Howard (2-1) accepted the loss after pitching six innings while letting up eight hits and three runs.

Black and Griffin both ended the night with one RBI apiece while Chapman scored one run and accounted for two of the team’s ten hits.

Game 2 – GSU 14, SIUE 5

GSU went scoreless in the first inning against SIUE, but after two runs things started to heat up.

In the bottom of the second inning GSU placed a man on base after senior outfielder Stryker Brown put down a solid bunt. Thanks to a balk from the Cougars’ pitcher, Brown advanced to second and then to third after a sacrifice fly to right field. Chapman singled to left field bringing in Brown to make it 2-1.

One more balk from the pitcher sent Chapman to second base and a Black single sent him to third. A wild pitch then brought in Chapman to tie it up at 2-2.

It’s all history from there. The Cougars were scoreless throughout the rest of the game until the ninth inning. The Eagles, however, were a completely different story.

Having seven different players score on 12 more runs, while tacking on five stolen bases along with four doubles just about sums up Saturday night.

Junior pitcher Josh Wirsu (2-1) got the win while setting a career-high seven strike outs in six innings pitched. Brown and junior shortstop Dalton Busby both added two RBI to their resume off the team’s 15 hits.

Game 3 – GSU 8, SIUE 2 

A beautiful Sunday afternoon game started off slow at J.I. Clements stadium as the Eagles took on SIUE for a second time with the same result, a win for GSU.

SIUE started the scoring off in the fourth inning with a single to left field driving in two runs to make it a 2-0 game.

GSU answered with a Griffin homerun that brought in junior outfielder Aaron Mizell, tying the game at 2-2. Senior infielder/outfielder Garren Palmer then singled to left field, stole second and was brought across home plate by a Brown double. Chapman then singled up the middle to bring Brown in and make the score 2-4.

Yet again the Eagles would hold SIUE scoreless for the rest of the game, as GSU went on to post six more runs.

Senior pitcher Matt McCall (1-0) got the win after pitching 3.1 innings and letting up 4 hits. Chapman led the Eagles in hits with three and added two RBI. Griffin also tacked on two RBI in the win.

Game 4 – GSU 20, Ohio 5 

The Eagles started off their second game of the day with three homeruns from Mizell, freshman Ryan Cleveland and junior Kody Adams making it a 5-0 game with GSU leading Ohio (3-6).

Ohio remained scoreless until the fourth inning when they scored three runs making it a 6-3 ball game.

Cleveland hit his second homerun of the game while Morgan decided to join him and hit a 3-run homer bringing the score to 11-3 in the fifth inning.

The Eagles finished off the weekend by beating the Bobcats with a final score of 20-5. Sophomore Jason Richman (3-0) got the win while pitching 2.1 innings and letting up 2 hits. Adams had four runs while Busby and Cleveland both tacked on three apiece. Junior Aaron Mizell led in RBI with five of the team’s 19.