Sun, surf and safety

• Graphic: Kate Rakoczy

Brianna Quarterman

Spring Break is a time for students to kick back and relax, but Spring Break Safety Awareness week aims to give students tools to stay safe while having fun.

The Office of Health Services and the Office of Alcohol and Other Drugs are working together to host events that will offer tips to students on how to stay safe during Spring Break.

“Our goal is to educate students before they go on their spring break trips and give them helpful tips and information to ensure they are safe,” event organizer and assistant director of health education and promotion, La’Shanda Johnson, said.

Topics discussed this week will be partying, safe sex, binge drinking, drugs, travel safety and self-defense techniques.

Sex, drugs and alcohol

Many of the events focus on setting limits while drinking and keeping safe by doing things ahead of time, like setting up a designated driver, Johnson said.

“Students become caught up in making plans and choosing destinations that they often forget to plan and prepare for situations happening,” Johnson said.

Students are encouraged to come out to the Russell Union Ballroom where they will receive free sunscreen, Band-Aids, condoms, water bottles and Spring Break awareness t-shirts.

There will also be an opportunity for students to get tested for HIV and make friendship bracelets while they wait on their results.

In addition, Student Government Association and the Residence Hall Association will host the Mardi Gras Madness festival tonight from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., focusing on providing students with information on alcohol awareness.

Follow the Rules

Wherever students decide to spend their break, they should be aware of the laws in that area.

“Just because an incident is handled one way in Statesboro, that does not mean the same laws apply in that particular area. So students should always be aware,” Johnson said.

Friday March 7 will feature “Be a Safe Eagle Day” where students are encouraged to finalize their travel plans and make a safety plan before partying.

“It is also important to make sure that everyone in the group has the contacts of each other’s family. This is an essential for students especially if groups decide to split up at any time during the trip,” Johnson said.

Drinking and Driving

The Arrive Alive texting and DUI/DWI simulator on Thursday, March 6, will show students the dangers of driving under the influence. The event also features giveaways.

Jasmine Chaney, sophomore international studies major, has plans to go on vacation this year for spring break.

“I’m actually excited for this week. I plan on going to Texas for Spring Break. So every piece of information offered this week will definitely apply to me,” Chaney said.

Kimberly Weeks, intern for the Office of Health Services, says she is excited about the upcoming events of the week.

Weeks said, “I am looking forward to seeing all of the students come out. We want to encourage them to have fun but also pay attention to the safety aspect as well as be aware of their surroundings.”