GSU Music Department to hold brass studio solo recital

Michelle Norsworthy

One of the most shared loves in the world is music and brass music is no exception, which will be seen this Wednesday as student recitals begin.

In the Foy Building, Georgia Southern University students will have the chance to witness nine different performances. The performers are music majors who are showcasing their talents at the music department’s Brass Studio Solo Recital. The recital will take place in the Carter Recital Hall in the Foy Building at 7:30 p.m., and is free to the public.

The students performing are trombonists Eric Spencer and Brandon Everett-Graves; trumpeters Chris Wade, Trey Wilson, and Drew Ziemba; euphonists Xander Allen and Josh Smith; tubist Matt Tatz and French hornist Preston Tutt.

“When you’re on stage by yourself, with the accompaniment of the pianist, you are in total control of making that piece come to life musically,” Richard Mason said.

Mason is one of four faculty members in the Department of Music who helped organize the GSU Brass Studio Solo Recital, along with Mason are Stephanie Furry, Bill Schmid and Alice Schmid.

“When [the music majors] perform, when they work a piece to performance level they really learn about themselves, they learn so much more about the music,” Alice Schmid said.

The recital gives those in attendance the chance to witness the musical talents of fellow students. The students who will be performing have worked to produce quality sound.

“It means a lot to recognize this took a lot of work,” Dr. Schmid said. “It does take a commitment on the part of the performers.”

It is this commitment that can be heard in the performances.

“If you come attentive you can expect some powerful music. When you hear it, you know exactly what it means. You don’t need words to understand,” Xander Allen said.

Xander Allen is one of nine who will be performing Wednesday night. His instrument of choice is the euphonium, but he says that wasn’t his initial choice.

“There’s a Star Trek character that played the trombone,” Allen said, “But my arms weren’t long enough, so I picked the euphonium.”

No matter the instrument, music can still make a positive impact.

“Everyone can benefit,” euphonist Josh Smith said. “There’s a variety of music going to be played and it’s a great experience.”

It is this musical variety that makes for an enjoyable experience for the audience.

“[Attendees] will get something fresh and something new,” Furry said. “The music does vary in styles so there’ll be some instruments – some piece – that everyone will find something that they like.”

The public is encouraged to attend the performances, Mason said, “And they’re free. You can’t beat those prices.”