Eagles shoot for their second best

Bryan Marseille

Georgia Southern University’s women’s rifle team posted a score of 2,237, its second best of the season, at the Southeastern Air Rifle Conference (SEARC) #7 NCAA Regionals on Saturday.

Freshman Kathryn Youngblood and redshirt freshman Tori Lewis led the Eagles with scores of 565 out of a possible 600 apiece.

Saturday’s competition marked the team’s fifth competition at the Inouye Marksmanship Center, and their first return to the course since posting a season best score of 2,240 at the Citadel Invitational on Jan. 26.

Two weeks removed from their last competitive match, the Eagles shot efficiently this weekend and managed to top their season average of 2,203.75 through eight contests.

Three shooters posted marks of 560 or better, including redshirt freshman Emmy Johnson who shot for a score of 562. Johnson bested her previous career high of 559 set in the last meet at SEARC #6.

As the debut rifle team in the university’s history, Head Coach MSG Tim Parks and his girls continue to lay the foundation for the team’s future success. With two juniors and four freshmen (three redshirt) on the roster, their core looks to maintain consistency going forward and entering next season.

Redshirt freshman Ale Shortridge rounded out the effort with a score of 545, while junior Abigail Raines made it three matches in a row tallying a score of 537.

The Eagles will compete again on March 8 at the SEARC Championships in Charleston, S.C.