Survival guide to midterms

Kaitlyn Glenn

It’s that time again; midterms are right around the corner, so turn your coffee pots on, get your highlighters ready and reserve your spot in “Club Hendy.”

The semester is at the point where tests are piling up, and when it comes to studying everyone has their own process.

Some constantly study hours upon hours trying to prepare, while others wait until the last minute.

Recently, an exam preparation session was held on campus courtesy of education program specialist Brian Hyer, and here are some general tips to help get you through this tough test-taking time.

Tip 1: Use your Resources.

GSU is always trying to find new ways to help the students succeed. There are a number of resources around campus to do so.

“The Academic Success Center is a great resource, we offer tutoring in a lot of the core courses, like math and social sciences. So getting students not only over here is important, but getting them over here early,” Hyer said.

Tip 2: Know the exam.

The professors should be your number one resource; they are the individuals that are making the test so be sure to ask them detailed questions about it. Most professors won’t mind.

“Mind? Heck no. We want to help. But if by “help” the student means covering something, perhaps for the umpteenth time, that was dealt with in class or a study guide, and the only reason the student needs help now is because he/she missed class or zoned out during a review or etc., well, that can be, let’s see; what’s polite? Hmmm… frustrating? Exasperating? Irritating?” Marc Cyr, literature and philosophy department professor, said.

Tip 3: Review weekly.

It’s tough, but don’t wait until the last minute. Think of school as your main job and put the time and effort it takes to succeed at it.

“When it comes to certain subjects, there are specific ways to study. With math the only thing I can do is just practice the problems until I have it down,” Sanice Bell, sophomore graphic design major, said.

Tip 4: Create a study schedule plan.

I know, I know, we’re all busy with our classes, jobs, and parties, but plan your time well so you can get everything done academically and socially.

“I began keeping a journal, so I can keep my time and all the events and everything; like when tests are, when I need to prepare for the next exam really helped,” Karen Taylor, sophomore pre-business major, said.

“Start reviewing your notes early. That not only gives the info time to stick, but also allows students to identify gaps in the knowledge and seek to fill them in,” Cyr said.

Tip 5: Utilize your learning style to prepare.

There are three learning styles: auditory, kinesthetic and visual. Take the time to figure out your style and it’ll help determine exactly how you should study.

“I’m trying to study more in the library instead of my apartment, so I can concentrate more, but it’s an ongoing process,” Ariel Wood, freshman undeclared major, said.

Although cramming is looked down upon, at times it’s unavoidable. Make a timeline plan and make strategic choices on what to study. Once you know what to study, condense information to notecards and recite, recite, recite.