Track and field team back in action

Travis Upchurch

This week, after several weeks of cruel winter weather, the Georgia Southern University track and field team took to Winston-Salem, N.C. for the JDL Fast Track.

Due to the inclement weather, the two-day meet was shortened to a one-day competition this past Saturday. Entering into the unknown with the loss of several practices, due to GSU shutting down in the middle of the week, the team steamed forward to break both personal and school records, something Coach Marlo Mincey is no stranger to as a former GSU student athlete.

Graduate Student Sherril McFarlane racked up this weekend setting a new school record and personal best of 5:06.51 in the mile run along with being the only non-Atlantic Coast Conference runner to finish in the top seven in the 800 meter Run. On the throwing side of the event, Freshman Kelsey Arnold added over two feet to her personal best in the weight throw with a distance of 16.78 m, which moves her name and distance to second all time at GSU.

The Eagles ended up setting 10 personal best records, four top fives, three top eights in the 200 m dash, second in the long jump, two top tens in the 60 m Hurdles, and a top six in the 400 m run.

“ It’s really exciting because I competed here and was the second recruiting class ever so I really feel like being a part of the foundation of a program and then still continuing to build on that foundation I feel like I’m a part of both ends of it, when it first started and now when its evolving and excelling to a national caliber type program where we have student athletes ranked in the nation and having opportunity to compete at the national level,” head coach Marlo Mincey said.

The GSU track and field team won’t see more action until March 1-2 as it heads to the Southern Conference Indoor Championships.