Guy Davis set to perform at Averitt Center

Alia Lewis

Surrounded by the musical buzz of Manhattan, performer Guy Davis fell in love with the blues and will be in concert this weekend at the Averitt Center for the Arts.

Born in Manhattan, Davis was not accustomed to hearing the Southern-oriented sounds blues music derived from but felt familiar with it from the beginning.

“It felt like the music was already inside of me. It felt familiar,” Davis said. “[My] body is from New York, but my soul is from places with grass, mountains, and cotton fields.”

As he grew older, Davis listened and modeled his talents after blues legends such as Bobby Blue Bland, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Taj Mahal and Blind Willie McTell and eventually became a professional blues musician.

Davis has received much success for his music and has traveled around the world. Currently Davis is heading a nation-wide tour with Fabrizio Poggi, guest musician and producer of Davis’s album, “Juba Dance.”

Davis wants students to attend his concert because he wants them to have a good time and experience his music.

Davis is very passionate about blues music, and urges students to get to know how enjoyable a live presentation of the blues is. He invites them to feel as though they are on the back porch with cookies and lemonade.

“It’s an endangered species,” Davis said. “There needs to be more listening.”

Students can do just that at the Averitt Center this Saturday night where Davis will be performing a variety of his songs as well as other notable blues songs.

Davis said, “Blues gives me a sense of who I am. It’s a large part of my identity.”

The Averitt Center is currently hosting their African American Heritage Series, said Kate Finch, an Averitt Center employee. The Averitt Center discovered Davis through another employee who worked with famed actors and parents of Guy, Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee.

Davis will be in concert this Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at the Averitt Center. Georgia Southern University students can purchase tickets at the door for $10 with their student ID, although tickets can also be purchased in advance. Tickets are limited and will be on sale until the day of the performance.