GSU sounds to be showcased in concert

Charles Rudison

The Georgia Southern University Symphony is set to display an arrangement of beautiful sounds during its upcoming concert.

Under the direction of Maestro Adrian Gnam the symphony will present a free concert featuring two soloists and a guest composer tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center.

The program will include solo performances by Christian Spencer and Linda Cionitti, Ph.D.

Spencer was the winner of the U Symphony’s annual concerto competition.

“We have really worked hard and I know you will appreciate our music. Come out and join us,” Christian Spencer, junior music major, said.

Spencer will be performing the first movement of Gordon Jacob’s Trombone Concerto. Spencer is a member of GSU’s Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble and Symphony.

Cionitti is an established international performer and a music professor at GSU. The Georgia debut of Peter Schickele’s clarinet concerto will be performed with Cionitti as the soloist.

“I have played all around the world but being able to perform music composed by Schickele is one of the greatest honors of my life. He is a veteran I have grown to respect over the years,” Cionitti said. “It will definitely be a different sound listeners are not used to.”

Peter Schickele is a noteworthy American composer who is most famous for his comedy albums.

“Schickele is going to be a guest on campus for three days as the composer-in-residence,” Maestro Gnam said. “He is a very talented composer and I’m sure you all will love the music.”

The Georgia Southern Symphony includes students who are both music majors and non-majors including undergraduate and graduate students.

Gnam said, “The public is invited to hear this exciting program and to witness two stellar soloists and an iconic American composer, it will be an experience you won’t want to miss out on.”