Dowling earns playing time in senior season

•  

Hayden Boudreaux

Senior guard Whenever she needed advice she turned to her high school athletic director and soccer coach Sean Pender. He acted as her motivator and helped her make decisions during her career. One decision she did not need help with was deciding which sport she would play at the next level.

“Basketball was my passion, it was what I worked on the most, and most importantly it was what I loved,” Dowling said.

Dowling attended many camps at GSU before she was even recruited. After being introduced to the coaching staff, and with her love for Eagle Nation, she was nothing less than certain she wanted to take her talents to GSU.

“Ever since ninth grade I was dead set on being an Eagle and once I got the opportunity I took it,” Dowling said.

Her freshman season she saw limited action, playing in 12 games. She ended her debut season with 10 points and averaged 2.8 minutes per game.

As Dowling moved to her sophomore year her action on the court increased. She played in 28 games and hit seven three-pointers throughout the season.

At the beginning of her junior year Dowling knew she would get even more opportunities to perform for her team. She was named to the SoCon Academic Honor Roll but saw limited action throughout the season playing in only 14 games.

She did not let the limited time get to her pride. Dowling was behind a couple of seniors her freshman and sophomore seasons, which helped her progress and improve her game.

“I stayed strong and worked on my game so when my name was called then I would be ready,” Dowling said.

This season Dowling has stepped up big when her Lady Eagles needed her. She has played in every game, averaging 8.5 points per game and 2.4 rebounds, and is the third-leading scorer on the team.

Dowling’s most noteworthy statistic has been her three-point shooting this season. Currently, she leads the conference in three-point percentage and three pointers made with 46.7 and 33 respectively.

She is not only a fan favorite, but she is a first pick for most people on the team.

“I think Lacie Dowling and I have a great connection, we are good friends off the court, she’s a lot of fun to play with and we know how to get each other pumped up,” Anna Claire Knight, junior guard and leading scorer for the Lady Eagles, said.

When asked about her teammates, Dowling also acknowledged how she enjoyed playing with Knight.

“I think Anna Claire and I really read each other well, we feed off of each other, and we’re great friends off the court which makes it even better,” Dowling said.

As the Lady Eagles head into the final stretch of conference play they will rely heavily on Dowling and Knight’s in-game telepathy to win the conference championship. The team has the rest of the week off and will go on the road Saturday to challenge Western Carolina University.