Sustainability and design is the focus for GSU speaker

Tayler Critchlow

The exploration of the relationship between sustainability and design will be the focus of an event being held in the Nessmith-Lane Conference Center on Feb. 4 at 7 p.m.

Georgia Southern University’s Center for Sustainability and the Interior Design Program will host the free event and welcome Lance Hosey as the speaker.

Hosey’s appearance is being supported by student sustainability fees, according to a news release.

Hosey is a pioneer in the field of sustainable design, as well as an architect, author and the Chief Sustainability Officer with global design firm RTKL-Architects Designers Planners Engineers Consultants.

The presentation will be on “The Shape of Green: Aesthetics, Ecology and Design,” and will link attendees understanding of aesthetics and sustainability and show how beauty can save the planet, according to the news release.

Students interested in science, engineering, art and design, construction and various other fields will appreciate Hosey’s sustainability message, Lissa Leege, director of the Center for Sustainability, said in a news release.

Hosey’s ideas are creative and original, and will inspire and challenge students to think about sustainability from a different angle, Amy Boyett, Interior Design Program coordinator, said according to the news release.

Interior design students will be able to directly relate to Hosey’s experience in architecture, Boyett said according to the news release.

GSU is one of the top green universities in the country and is a leader in water conservation techniques and native and sustainable landscaping, according to the news release.

Other sustainability-focused events are planned for later this spring, such as the “Ocean Film Festival” at the Russel Union Theater on March 4 and “No Impact Week” from April 13-20.

“No Impact Week” shows people ways to improve and protect the environment without impacting the Earth.

This semester’s “No Impact Week” will feature guest speaker Dr. Steven Chu, Nobel Prize winner and former U.S. Secretary of Energy on April 15.