Addressing sustainability on campus

• Keeping our campus clean involves making sure that trash goes in the correct bins labeled. 

Mitch Smith

STATESBORO — As we spring into the new semester, it is important to remember ways to keep our campus clean.

Cami Sockow, the program coordinator for the Center for Sustainability, suggested some simple ways students can get involved and make an immediate impact on campus.

“Recycling is the first step people connect with when thinking about how to be more conscious about their impact,” Sockow said.

While recycling is one of the easiest ways to be proactive, it is important to do so properly. Throwing an incorrect item into a recycling bin can compromise the whole bin and contaminate the recyclables, according to Sockow.

“When thinking about individual actions (students, faculty, or staff) people can make the obvious choices of remembering to bring their water bottle, coffee cup and any other reusables with them around campus,” Sockow wrote in an email.

Reducing your consumption starts with being more aware. Being more aware means to slow down and think about where their things come from and where they end up when they leave your hand. 

Sockow recommends for us to consume and purchase with the consideration of where the item will go after we use it and what materials were needed to create the item.

Awareness is a skill that can be worked on everyday and this doesn’t stop at reduction, according to Sockow. Being aware of your environment and how to care for it also includes Climate Policy.

“It does not matter what side of the coin you are on, these natural catastrophes we are seeing are not going to change without policy to enact the change,” Sockow said.

There are many opportunities on campus for students to become more sustainable. Georgia Southern is inviting Ovie Mughelli, a former Atlanta Falcon, to speak on March 3 and 7 p.m. about the possibilities going green can hold economically and health wise. 

Mitch Smith, The George-Anne Daily Reporter, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu