Techxpo brings new technology to campus

• A galactic presentation is shown at last year’s TechEXPO. TechEXPO is held every year by Georgia Southern University to showcase state-of-the-art technology for attendees.File photo

Cydney Long

Georgia Southern University students, faculty and staff viewed the latest in computers and technology today as the Center for Academic Technology Support (CATS) hosted its annual EAGLE Techxpo.

“[The Techxpo] keeps the school as advanced as possible, and by being as advanced as possible it helps students,” Tim Bragg, senior multimedia communications major and video technician with CATS, said. “It helps us for when were trying to get a job outside of school.”

The event began at 9 a.m. and will continue until 4 p.m. in the Information Technology Building. Over 25 innovative companies participated, including Samsung, Desire2Learn and GoPro.

Kathy Randolph, government account executive for Verizon Wireless, believes that students benefit from the Techxpo.

“I think students get a better understanding of products and services,” Randolph said.

Other vendors come to the Techxpo to gain feedback from customers and give students an opportunity to view their products firsthand.

“It’s great to see the kids interacting with the product,” Pamela Kennedy, Synnex/Beats by Dre representative, said. “It’s good to see what they like about the product.”

The Techxpo also offered 22 sessions that attendees could visit, including “Navigating Folio for Students,” “Apple in Higher Education” and “Digging into Digital Collections.”

Damien Heyward, junior information technology major, attended the University Housing Mobile session.

The session discussed the management of student check-in/out process.

“The system has improved since I lived on campus,” Heyward said.

Attendees had the opportunity to receive a free T-shirt by collecting stickers from four vendors and one session.

Olin Thomas, junior information systems major, said, “It was a good experience to find out what possibly I could go into in my career.”