D.I.M.E.S. Gala: A Showcase of southern talent

Meagan Greene

Get ready for an elegant night in Statesboro, featuring some of Georgia Southern University’s most talented and eccentric students.

The D.I.M.E.S Fashion Organization at GSU is hosting an art gala titled A Night of Elegance this Saturday 5 p.m.

This is the first gallery that D.I.M.E.S has presented as an event on the GSU campus. It is a rather elegant event, so less shabby attire will be required for entrance into the gala.

“The goal is to showcase the work of performers, designers, photographers, painters and D.I.M.E.S. model troupes,” Jodi-Ann Simpson, president of D.I.M.E.S. organization and senior public relations major, said.

Since this is the first appearance of such a show by the D.I.M.E.S organization, the group decided to really let the organization’s members shine.

“We have a humongous organization that does photo shoots for students portfolios, but there are other photos that don’t get much shine. So we want to do this to let the models know everything they’ve done is going to good use and to broadcast our hard work,” Raven Taylor, vice president of D.I.M.E.S. and senior business administration major, said.

Student work is the only work that will be featured though GSU students and faculty and the Statesboro community are more than welcome to come out and see the event.

“It’s very special to me because it’s a way to show that D.I.M.E.S. isn’t just a fashion organization,” Simpson said.

Students featured will have their own booth to present their work. Artists from photographers, sculptors, models, painters, musicians and poets will have their time in the spotlight.

“Models who are in the photo-shoot will also be doing a walking portion in their photo-shoot attire,” Simpson said.

There will be performers on stage with models while they are showing of their forms or art.

“When people walk in, they’re going to see a whole bunch of artwork,” Simpson said.

Those in attendance will be allowed to walk around and check out the artwork and, if they like it, they can buy it.

“[There is a] very big variety of things for people to come see. We expect a wide turnout of those interested in art and anyone contributing to the show can sell their artwork,” Taylor said.

Art is the essence of the event; so if you’re interested, show up to the free gala in your finest outfit and check out all that the D.I.M.E.S Fashion Organization has to offer this weekend.