Non-Violent movements in Syria brings GSU together

Erika Richards

Yesterday kicked-off the start International Educational Week and a collaboration of Georgia Southern University organizations will bring Mohja Kahf, an Arab-American poet and author, to speak.

GSU organizations including the Arabic Club, Center for International Studies and the Campus Life Enrichment Committee (CLEC) worked together in order to bring the speaker to campus.

The event will take place today at 5 p.m. in the Russell Union Ballroom.

Kahf will speak about the non-violent peace movements in Syria and issues regarding the daily lives of women and what they go through.

Mohja Kahf was born in Damascus, Syria and attended Rutgers University where she acquired her Ph.D in comparative literature.

She is now an associate professor at the University of Arkansas and is a faculty member of the King Fahd Center for Middle East and Islamic Studies.

Kahf wrote a collection of poetry called “Emails from Scheherazad” and a novel called “The Girl in the Tangerine Scarf.” She breaks stereotypes and barriers for Arab women.

A lecturer of Arabic, Youssef Salhi would like for everyone come and support this event because it would give students knowledge on the conflicts happening in Syria.

“This event will, most importantly, bring diversity to Georgia Southern University,” Salhi said.

Not only is the event free of charge and students will learn about Kahf’s different experiences, but they will also get to know more about the GSU Arabic Club and also relate to the Arab world and culture.

Associate professor and Director of the Center for International Studies and friend of Kahf, Jacek Lubecki believes she is a great person and even greater speaker.

“She doesn’t lecture. She performs and has an artistic mind,” Lubecki said. “Kahf is a test of quality of being a good speaker.”

“Kahf is well known and we are very fortunate to have her speak with us. She is different than other speakers,” Salhi said.

Salhi said, “You will learn that Arab-American women are active in Syria.”