The Bucket List: The hangover breakfast club

McCann is a senior international studies major. She is the Arts and Entertainment chief.

Lilly McCann

Rest in peace Snooky’s. Before the Statesboro restaurant closed last year it was more than just breakfast, it was a tradition. Snooky’s regular and former head football coach Erk Russell made it a part of Georgia Southern University football history. It was also a favorite of college students, locals and anyone that calls Statesboro home. With Snooky’s doors closed, it’s hard to crown any Statesboro breakfast restaurant the “next Snooky’s” but there are options. This Saturday marks the last home football game of the season, the Homecoming game, and after tailgating all day or staying out all night, there is nothing like bacon and grits to cure a hangover.

RJ’s Seafood and Steaks

While you may not be able to sit at the worn booths from the seventies while looking at pictures of past party gatherings at Snooky’s, the after life of Snooky’s lives on at RJ’s Seafood and Steaks. RJ’s didn’t start serving breakfast until the iconic restaurant closed and is serving up the staple Snooky’s breakfast menu. Dubbed “Snooky’s at RJ’s”, RJ’s adopted many Snooky’s employees, regulars and coffee clubs and their breakfast. RJ’s opens at 7 a.m. Monday through Saturday to whip up the famous breakfast and keep the essence of Snooky’s alive.

Waffle House, “WaHo”

Smothered, covered and chunked can be heard over metal utensils clashing on the griddle and coffeehouse chatter shared between students and locals. Waffle House’s only home is not Statesboro.

“It’s greasy food, it’s quick and it’s literally everywhere. The cure for my hangover is their three cheesesteak omelet,” David Pate, senior mechanical engineer, said.  Waffle House is a cultural icon that began in Georgia and has been inspiration for some and tradition for others, a place where you can still pop a quarter in the jukebox and use diner lingo to perfect your hash browns. The best part is Waffle House never closes and has earned itself its own index, “The Waffle House Index,” by the Federal Emergency Management Agency that measures the severity of a disaster by whether Waffle House’s doors are closed.

Fordham’s Farmhouse

Fordham’s down south cooking style is not just for lunch or dinner. Fordham’s prides itself on its homey atmosphere and friendly staff that aim to make you feel at home. Even with last night’s make up still on. Local breakfast places are far and few between in Statesboro, but if you’re looking for soul food, the Farmhouse can help.

“I like to go to Fordham’s because of the good home cooking and it’s on Eagle Express. The people who work there are so nice and they always make you feel better, kind of like your mom does when you’re sick,” Natalie Bonnell, sophomore criminal justice major, said.

Boyd’s Bar-B-Q & Country Buffet

Like Farmhouse, Boyd’s Bar-B-Q is more than its lunch. The barbeque joint opens at 6 a.m. and serves patrons all morning. Boyd’s is on the other side of town the corner of Northside Dr. and North College Street. It can be easily missed for those who don’t stray too far from campus often, but look for the giant red sign right outside. With a countrified and rustic atmosphere that matches their breakfast menu, it is another local breakfast spot that serves up that early morning comfort food.