GSU records an epic 26-20 win over the Gators

Randall Hampton

Fourth Quarter:

The Georgia Southern University football team pulled off the upset when it knocked off the University of Florida 26-20 in Gainesville.

UF would strike first in the fourth quarter with a 22 yard field goal by redshirt junior Francisco Velez.

GSU would milk the clock with a solid drive, but on fourth and one from the UF 41 yard line senior fullback William Banks failed to gain a yard.

UF would capitalize when redshirt freshman quarterback Skyler Mornhinweg connected with senior wide receiver Solomon Patton for a 46 yard touchdown to tie the game 20-20.

The Gators took momentum, but Banks would break through the line for a 54 yard run to swing things back in the Eagles favor.

Senior running back Jerick McKinnon would take the pitch from redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Ellison around the ride side for a 14 yard score, but get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct in the end zone.

With the extra yardage added to the PAT freshman kicker Younghoe Koo failed to convert the kick and left the score 26-20 for the Eagles.

The game came down to one drive to decide which team was superior and today the Eagles proved that they can play with Football Bowl Subdivision teams.  The defense sealed the deal with its final stand as GSU held on for a 26-20 victory.

This win goes down as the biggest of the season for the Eagles by far.

Third Quarter:

On the first play of the second half the GSU senior running back Jerick McKinnon took a pitch 67 yards to help the Eagles seize momentum out of the locker room.  The run also put McKinnon over the 1,000 yard plateau this season.

On fourth and one from the one yard line redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Ellison would break the plane of the goal line for his second rushing touchdown and give the Eagles their first lead of the game, 14-10.

The Eagles would put more distance between them and the Gators when senior fullback William Banks plunged into the end zone from three yards out.  The extra point was blocked leaving the score 20-10.

On the drive McKinnon and redshirt junior slot Tray Butler would leave with injuries, but McKinnon would return on the scoring play.

UF senior wide receiver Solomon Patton would take the ensuing kickoff 54 yards to the GSU 33 yard line as the third quarter expired.

Second Quarter:

UF would take a 10-0 lead early in the second quarter when redshirt freshman quarterback Skyler Mornhinweg would hit senior wide receiver Solomon Patton in the back of the end zone for a three yard score.

The Eagles would respond with a long drive of their own that included a fourth down conversion by redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Ellison.

With the Eagles on the verge of scoring redshirt freshman fullback Irving Huggins fumbled the ball on the UF three yard line.  The GSU defense would step up to the plate and force a three and out.

On the first play of the drive Ellison hit the hole hard and outsprinted every Gator on the field for a 45 yard touchdown to make the score 10-7.  The Eagles would head into the locker room down by three points.

First Quarter:

The Georgia Southern University football team survived a long drive by the University of Florida and ended the first quarter down by just three points.

UF redshirt freshman quarterback Skyler Mornhinweg led the Gators to a field goal after the Eagles tightened up the defense in the red zone.

The Eagles would respond with some good runs from senior slot Johnathan Bryant, but would eventually have to punt.  Senior punter Luke Cherry would mishandle the snap and set UF up with great field position.

The GSU defense would hold again and junior cornerback Valdon Cooper would block a UF field goal attempt.

Unfortunately for the Eagles, on the very next play Bryant would fumble and give UF the ball deep in the red zone.  The quarter would end with UF threatening from the 10 yard line.