Nigerian Independence Day celebrated on campus

• Bottom: Traditional dress was worn by Nigerian students as a way of showing their heritage and independence.Photo courtesy of: Angie Threatte

Maureen O'Leary

The Office of Student Affairs hosted Friday’s International Conversation Hour in celebration of Nigerian Independence Day with presentations by graduate students from Nigeria.

“I asked my friends if this day was ever celebrated on campus before, and they told me they didn’t think so,” Blessing Odion, Nigerian graduate student of public health, said.

Odion and fellow graduate student from Nigeria Bukola Oyelola, who is studying for a master of mechanical engineering, worked with Angie Threatte, coordinator of International Conversation Hour, to plan the celebration.

“We now want to focus on other countries and have events that the students will be interested in,” Threatte said.

Nigerian students showed up dressed in traditional clothing, and a Nigerian flag was hung at the front of the room.

Additionally, a cake decorated like the flag was offered along with the spread of food.

The official celebration of Nigerian Independence Day is Oct. 1 and International Conversation Hour was meant to be a celebration of that day instead of just the usual activities.

At the conversation hour, representatives from various offices around campus introduced themselves to the group, and stated how their department can be helpful to international students.

International Conversation Hour takes place every Friday in the Russell Union Ballroom at 11:30 a.m.