Einstein’s to expand catering business

Tannis Kufner

Einstein Bros Bagels at Georgia Southern University turns inward to expand on its catering business because of the current decrease in sales.

“Einstein’s has more available space which makes it possible to prepare the catered meals in-house,” Michael Bynum, general manager of Einstein’s, said.

The purpose of the push for Einstein’s catering is not to compete with Eagle Dining Services (EDS) by expanding, but to give people more options to cater their events, Mark Braswell, director of retail brands and catering, said.

“With lighter traffic [at Einstein’s], we can now focus more on catering and the different aspects to build the brand,” Michael Murphy, director of marketing for EDS, said.

Einstein’s can cater an event with a days notice, Braswell said.

“We really want to push towards students and faculty having Einstein’s at their group meetings,” Bynum said.

The full catering menu is available with options such as bagel trays, box lunches, fruit trays and coffee.

“The next logical step is to bring Einstein’s into the forefront and get them more business,” Murphy said.

Bynum welcomes anyone from the Statesboro community or campus to order Einstein’s for his or her next event.

Having Einstein’s as a catering option for sorority events would be convenient for morning meetings and events, Mary Beth Moore, senior public relations major, said.

Bynum is also the general manager of Cold Stone Creamery.

Students can anticipate a mobile Cold Stone cart with three flavors and three topping choices around campus at various locations in the spring of 2014, Bynum said.

Nico Drolet, senior marketing major and EDS employee, said, “I think adding catering will be a good thing and allow Einstein’s to reach new markets for sales that they did not have before.”