Volleyball to put four-game win streak on the line

Zakyra Colvin

The Georgia Southern University volleyball team will continue conference play at home this weekend against the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (3-20, 2-6 Southern Conference) and Samford University (14-9, 5-3 SoCon).

The Eagles look for their next two wins behind the offensive attack of junior outside hitter Jamie DeRatt, senior outside hitter Nicole Jeschelnik and sophomore right side Katie Bange.

DeRatt leads the Eagles in kills with 273 and an average of 3.69 kills per set. Bange has a total of 203 kills with a 2.64 kills per set average, while Jeschelnik has racked up 212 kills and 2.99 kills per set.

Freshman outside hitter Allie Davenport and sophomore outside hitter Briana Reid lead UTC offensively. With 191 kills, Davenport is an all-around player, and Reid, with 181 kills and 292 digs, is averaging 3.21 digs per set.

Freshman middle blocker Kendell Sexton will also contribute to the team’s defense, tallying 67 blocks this season.

Samford is led by junior outside hitter Michaela Reesor with 306 kills and senior middle blocker Katie Murphy with 236 kills, both of whom are players in Samford’s history that have surpassed 1,000 career kills.

Junior libero Chesli Carter will help contribute to Samford’s defensive play with 349 digs and a 4.42 average of kills per set.

Sophomore libero Alexandra Beecher will anchor the Eagles’ defense as she has amassed an impressive 342 digs and an average of 4.44 digs per set this season. With a total of 85 blocks, sophomore middle Crysten Curry will also aid in the teams matches this weekend.

The Eagles will also have the help of junior middle Kym Coley with a total of 176 kills and sophomore setter Katalin Minnerly who leads in assists with a total of 848 and an average of 11.16 assists per set.

The Eagles will look to continue their four-game winning streak against UTC on Friday at 6 p.m. and Samford on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Hanner Fieldhouse.