Eagles set to take on Furman and Wofford

Zakyra Colvin

The Georgia Southern University volleyball team looks to continue its six-game winning streak as it takes on Furman University (11-10, 7-3 Southern Conference) and Wofford College (9-15, 4-6 SoCon) this weekend.

The Eagles look to redeem themselves after their last meeting with Furman at home, losing in a 3-2 (25-23, 18-25, 21-25, 25-15, 15-9) SoCon upset where the Paladins brought the Eagles’ nine-game winning streak to an end.

The Eagles will look for the offensive attack of four players that had double-figure kills during the match against Furman.  Senior outside hitter Nicole Jeschelnik led with 19 kills and junior outside hitter Jamie DeRatt followed with 16. Junior middle Kym Coley added 16 kills and sophomore right side Katie Bange finished with 12 kills.

Junior outside hitter Andrea Fisher, who posted 21 kills and 18 blocks against the Eagles, and senior middle blocker Christina Dorismond, who posted 17 kills, led the Furman Paladins offensively.

Senior libero Elle Ross leads the Paladins defensively with 396 digs and a 4.89 average digs per set.

This is the first meeting this season between the Eagles and the Terriers.

The Terriers are led offensively by junior outside hitter Taylor Baird and senior outside hitter Amanda Liquori. Baird has a total of 297 kills this season while Liqouri has totaled 292 kills.

Wofford is led defensively by sophomore libero Jessica Graham with 428 digs and a 4.55 average digs per set.  Senior middle back Wendy Burnett will also contribute up top with a total of 40 blocks.

Sophomore setter Katalin Minnerly and sophomore libero Alexandra Beecher will also aid in the Eagles two upcoming matches.  Minnerly leads in assists with 945 and an average of 11.25 assists per set, and with Beecher has garnered 382 digs.

The Eagles will travel to take on Furman on Friday at 7 p.m. in Greenville, S.C., and Wofford on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Spartanburg, S.C.