Biology program qualifies for STEM award

• Photo courtesy of: www.georgiasouthern.edu

Lauren Gorla

One of Georgia Southern University’s science programs has qualified as a finalist for the 2013 Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Education Awards.

The Molecular Biology Initiative (MBI) Program at GSU is a finalist in the Post Secondary Outreach category for the 2013 STEM Awards, according to a news release.

GSU’s MBI program works with teachers to bring hands-on as well as new technologies into schools, focusing mainly on sciences like biotechnology, chemistry, biology and forensics.

“The 2013 Georgia STEM Education Awards finalists are helping to prepare the tech-ready workforce to fill these jobs, and we applaud them for standing out as leaders in Georgia’s educational community,” Tino Mantella, president and CEO of the Technology Association of Georgia (TAG), said in the news release.

TAG presents the award to recognize schools, programs and companies for outstanding efforts and achievements in STEM education.

“The university provides resources and technological expertise and the teachers frame the delivery to maximize student learning and to align content with state standards,” Laura Regassa, director of the MBI Program, said in the news release.

The MBI Program graduate students work with in-service teachers, K-12 students and students pursuing advanced STEM degrees.

Each semester, the program reaches out to more than 900 students every week, according to the news release.

The winner will be announced at the second annual Georgia STEM Education Awards on Sept. 27 at the Savannah International Trade and Convention Center.