Combing out success: One on one with Patrick Combs

• Combs spoke on helping students with finding their life passion.Photo by: Drew Heimlich

Jenna Lancaster

Voted the number one speaker at Georgia Southern University, Patrick Combs made his eighth visit to the university yesterday to speak on finding passion in college.

“If you think of anything that would be crazy exciting to live, even if you only get to live it for a month or a week, do it,” Combs said.

Combs has toured America, written books and been inducted in the motivational speaker hall of fame, yet he still makes time to come speak at GSU every year.

His passion to help students succeed drives him to keep coming back, Combs said.

Combs got into public speaking after a professor gave him great advice, and now he wants to help students.

“I want to help students succeed at something they are wildly passionate about,” Combs said.

Like many students, Combs struggled to decide what exactly it was that he wanted to do.  Afraid of failing, he hid his dream for a long time.

“We always forget the in-between stop that everybody goes through,” Combs said. “You have to be willing to suck at first at what you really want to do.”

People have dreams because they are meant to do something with them and students should not be afraid to make it happen, Combs said.

Combs encourages students to ask themselves what they think their greatest gift is and who can benefit from it.

Combs said, “You’re onto it when you know you should do it, you want to do it, but you’re terrified to do it.”