Witch bad, lady better

Kimeko McCoy

I was perusing through my Facebook as I normally do, and I noticed that there were some notifications that obviously needed attending to. So, I clicked on the little red dot at the top of my screen to see what Facebook needed to notify me about.

There was the normal bunch of birthdays of people you vaguely remember from your elementary school years. There was the normal bunch of Candy Crush addicts asking for their next dosage of lives and help. And there was the normal bunch of comments and likes on my own page.

It was here that I noticed a guy that I had gone to elementary school with had commented on my profile picture. Being that my profile picture was of my smiling face complete with makeup, curled hair and blue nail polish, I though it to be nothing out of the ordinary.

It was actually quite ordinary, which was why I felt conflicted upon seeing this guy’s comment on my profile picture.

“Badd (w)itch.”

If you switch that “w” out for a “b,” you’ll find the actual comment made.

I’m sure this was meant as a compliment.

2 Chainz said, “Bad (w)itch contest, you in first place.”

Nicki Minaj said, “Imma bad (w)itch.”

Lil’ Wayne said he was in one big room full of bad (w)itches.

Urban Dictionary defines it as a woman who is, “totally mentally gifted and usually also fine as hell.”

So it’s a compliment right? I should be flattered that someone thinks I could be compared to someone as graceful as Nicki Minaj right?

If it’s a compliment, then why didn’t I feel flattered or complimented?

Because it’s not a compliment. These same girls that are labeled as being “bad” are found dancing around covered in next to nothing behind a big name rapper. They don’t get their names mentioned before, during or after the video, but for those three minutes, they are the epitome of “bad.”

I’m going into my fourth year of college. I work for The George-Anne student newspaper. I go to class almost every day. I have never been featured in little to no clothing in anyone’s music video. Nicki Minaj is not my idol. And I don’t think myself to be bad or a witch.

Michelle Obama isn’t bad.

Allyson Felix isn’t bad.

Diane Sawyer isn’t bad.

These are some of the most influential women in the world who far surpass any “bad female.”

If a bad (w)itch is your definition of a compliment, maybe it’s time to change that.