GSU celebrates Constitution Day

• Anthony Nordman, freshman political science major, recites the Pledge of Allegiance.Photo by: Amanda White

Julia Francis

Yesterday, Georgia Southern University students filled the seats of the Russell Union Ballroom to celebrate Constitution Day.

Richard Pacelle, Ph.D., political science professor, along with Jonathan Bryant Ph.D., history professor, hosted the event.

“[The Constitution’s] concepts are still relevant today” Jodie Beckford, graduate assistant in the teaching and learning department, said.

Garrett Green, Student Government Association president, introduced the speakers with a brief history of their influence in their departments.

Bryant and Pacelle worked together to convey to a group of about 200 students the importance of the Constitution.

Bryant stressed the importance of the rights given through early doctrines.

“You have inherent rights as a human being, rights that are protected by the Constitution,” Bryant said.

Pacelle enlightened students on the changing of times and the reduction of privacy.

“I think one of the [public’s] main questions is about privacy,” Pacelle said.

Students were given a pocket sized constitution book with a QR code on the back so that they could follow along with the event.

Students from an Introduction to Public History course will have displays of the Bill of Rights for viewing in the Union from 9:15 – 10:45 a.m. today.