Unity Fest seeks to unite GSU

Erinn Williams

The Multicultural Student Center (MSC) and organizations on campus plan to show the diverse students of Georgia Southern University that they are one with Eagle Nation at Unity Fest.

Student organizations as well as different departments on campus will be helping to show the diversity of GSU on Thursday from 5-9 p.m. at the RAC. The event is free and open to the public.

“The Unity Fest is an event that gathers Georgia Southern’s community together and the main purpose is to celebrate the diversity that is on campus,” Doug Peters, graduate assistant at the MSC, said.

Over 15 organizations including Greek Life, community service and multicultural organizations will be at the event so that there is something for every student.

The event will have free food and giveaways, music, showcases, games and bouncy houses.

This is the 11th year that the Unity Fest has been organized by the MSC at GSU.

“We want to provide a way for students to get to know about the different cultures here as well as providing a platform for student performers to showcase themselves,” Peters said.

MSC brings back Unity Fest every year because of the huge turn out and because it is an accurate representation of the diversity on campus, Peters said.

“The biggest thing about the Unity Fest is that it is an inclusive event,” Tamela Evan, graduate assistant for MSC, said.

The Unity Fest is for the entirety of the Statesboro/Bulloch County community, not just students, faculty and staff.

“We hope to foster more inclusion at Georgia Southern not just with students but the community as well by showcasing the cultures and performances from people on and off campus,” Evan said.

“It is probably one of the biggest events that we host on campus each year. There is fun for everyone and families are welcome to bring their children,” Evan said.

Christopher Tugh, assistant director of MSC, said, “Through this event we want to welcome all of the Georgia Southern community to be a part of campus.”