GSU to face UGA in first season home game

Zakyra Colvin

Georgia Southern University’s volleyball team will play the University of Georgia tonight at 6 p.m. in its first home game of the season at Hanner Fieldhouse.

The Eagles have played two tournaments to start off the season and put themselves in a great place with a 6-1 overall record.

In the Magnolia Invitational this past weekend, the Eagles swept the competition, finishing with a 3-0 record.

Up against Kennesaw State University (1-5) on Saturday, the Eagles won without dropping a set (25-12, 25-17, 25-17).

Sophomore right side Katie Bange tallied 10 kills and five blocks, and sophomore middle Crysten Curry led GSU in assists with seven.

Junior middle Kym Coley tallied eight kills and four blocks, sophomore setter Katalin Minnerly had 23 assists, and sophomore Alexandra Beecher finished with 13 digs.

Up against the University of Mississippi and Arkansas State University on Friday, the Eagles defeated both teams 3-1.

Senior outside hitter Nicole Jeschelnik posted 32 kills on Friday to lead the Eagles volleyball team to two victories at the Magnolia Invitational.

UGA holds a 4-1 record after losing its most recent game to the University of Nebraska 3-0 (25-21, 25-23, 25-14) on Saturday.

In the Jaguar Invitational, the Eagles left the tournament with a 3-0 record and the Eagles have been on a 3-match win streak since their first and only loss of the season to Troy University.

“We’ve had a great start to the season, winning the tournaments at South Alabama and Ole Miss,” head coach Dustin Wood said in a news release. “We had a hiccup at Troy, but we’ve learned from it. We hope Tuesday will be crazy in Hanner for the Georgia match.”

Before the game on Tuesday, there will be a tailgate for students where they have the opportunity to purchase tickets for the GSU vs. University of Florida football game. The tailgate begins at 4 p.m. in the Hanner parking lot.