The MSC to offer more options to students

The Multicultural Student Center at Georgia Southern University offers students 24 spiritual organizations to choose from and help finding the right fit if an organization is not offered.

“If a student wants to start an organization on campus, I would love to help them and show them the way to do the paperwork through the Office of Student Activities,” Jabal Moss, programming graduate assistant with the Multicultural Student Center, said.

Each organization is officially recognized by GSU and varies in size and community.

Students who do not find a spiritual organization suited to their needs can find help at the Multicultural Student Center, whose top priority is to help students find an organization that helps build their involvement on campus, Moss said.

Out of the 24 religious organizations there is something for everyone.

Islam

The Muslim Student Association offers a place for GSU’s Muslim students to find a sense of community and fellowship, and to facilitate interfaith relationships on campus, as well as serve as a resource for any non-Muslims interested in learning about Muslims and Islam,” Nadia Dreid, Muslim Student Association (MSA) officer, said.

The organization is open to dispelling the misconceptions and hopes to enlighten students.

The MSA also seeks to provide a spiritual and social support network for Muslim students.

All-encompassing

“ESA is a group for anyone interested in alternative religions and spiritual paths, especially those that focus on being in balance with nature, hence our name Earth Spirit Association,” Geneva Hendrix, ESA officer, said.

Within ESA students will find pagans, Christians, Wiccans and atheists whose main tenant emphasizes equality and respect for all spiritual paths.

Judaism

There is also an opportunity for students with a Jewish faith to become involved with an organization called Hillel.

“Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life provides opportunities for Jewish students at more than 500 colleges and universities to explore and celebrate their Jewish identity through its global network of regional centers, campus Foundations and Hillel student organizations,” according to its OrgSync webpage.

Christianity

Chi Alpha is a Christian organization also open to students.

“We stress community and provide a safe place where students can challenge their spiritual life,” Kevin Williams, Chi Alpha missionary, said.

Chi Alpha provides weekly bible studies for students. “Students can get connected to the world through a variety of mission trips. Those trips include Greece, Germany, Romania, and Nicaragua,” according to its OrgSync webpage.

Christianity-Catholic

“The Catholic Newman Association seeks to provide students with an opportunity to learn about the faith through bible studies and community events,” Stephanie Shipley, president of the Catholic Newman Association (CNA), said.

The CNA provides volunteer opportunities on Saturdays.

They also have adoration and Mass services weekly at St. Mathews Church.

Christianity-Methodist

“Wesley is a Community of college students focused on seeking God’s plan through the chaos of college life,” student David Large said.

The Wesley Foundation provides a program specifically for the needs of freshmen through Freshley.

Other Christian student organizations include the Baptist Collegiate Ministry, Christian Crusaders for Christ and Campus Outreach.

Any student can find an organization that suits their spiritual path through the “My Involvement” page on the My.GeorgiaSouthern homepage.