Newly renovated dining halls exceed expectations

• A brick pizza oven station will be featured at the Main Dining Commons and will provide students with specialty made-to-order pizzas.Photo by: Amanda White

Erinn Williams

If you plan on having a dining plan or using Eagle Express then the new dining halls will certainly go above and beyond expectations.

Eagle Dining has certainly made sure that students will have a great dining experience on campus.

The Main Dining Commons, formerly known as Landrum, and Lakeside Dining Commons have a great variety of food, from your standard burgers and pizza to the “Traces of Places” line, which features a rotating cast of international cuisine so there is something for everyone.

With many of the new stations and lines carrying a menu that permits students to decide what exactly they want to eat, the new dining halls carry a sense of personalization. Some of the more unique examples of this is the No Whey! line, which caters specifically to customers with special dietary needs, or the Wok-n-Roll line which has students choose their favorite ingredients for a personalized stir fry.

It does not taste like you are eating in a standard cafeteria, with food that is both savory and packed with flavor, it comes extremely close to premium restaurant quality.

The fried chicken and mashed potatoes at Traditions compare to any southern-style kitchen and the burritos at Amigos are very reminiscent of popular chain Moe’s Southwest Grill.

Being able to customize the food to your own taste makes the made-to-order stations like Mongo’s, Brickoven and Amigos big hits.

If Starbucks and Einstein’s Bagels are not your taste, then the coffee and smoothies at Today’s Brew and Smoothies rivals their flavor and quality while reducing the time waiting in line.

Mongo’s, the dining commons breakout star, has Asian cuisine that will blow your taste buds away at the cost of a long wait in line. The line gives you the opportunity to choose between different veggies, proteins and sauces to create your own personal Mongolian grill-inspired meal, all served over steamed white rice.

Overall the Main Dining Commons and Lakeside Dining Commons are expensive but they definitely provide students with a dining experience that is worth the money.

The only observable problem is the newness of the halls leading to almost never-ending lines, especially at the stations with the best food. With that said, it is well worth the wait.