HIV threat currently under investigation, Dean of Students makes statement

• Dean of Students Patrice Jackson

Lindsay Gaskins

Georgia Southern University officials have not been able to comment on the current HIV threat to campus due to the severity of the ongoing investigation.

“The Department of Public Safety has been informed of a potential danger in the form of an HIV positive individual who may be knowingly and intentionally infecting his sexual partners,” Dean of Students Patrice Jackson said in the news release.

The Dean of Students Office sent out a Campus Alert Tuesday morning in reference the possibility of HIV spreading across campus.

The subject is reported as being an attractive African American male who is in his mid-thirties, but could appear to be in his mid-twenties. He has tattoos, sometimes wears glasses and may have facial hair. He has been known to target men, but all should take precautions, according to the Campus Alert.

He may claim to be well traveled, especially within the Southeast, or working in the music industry. He also claims to work as an HIV counselor or assistant, according to the alert.

GSU is taking every action possible to ensure the safety of this campus and its students, Jackson said.

“Any time we have a threat to our students and there is any credibility to it at all, it is our responsibility to let the students know,” Jackson said.

Anyone that believes they may be a victim should contact the Office of Public Safety.

GSU Department of Public Safety could not comment.