Clubhouse to serve alcohol

• Photo by: Tannis Kufner

Tannis Kufner

The Clubhouse of Statesboro is planning to expand its bar area and will begin serving alcohol in the fall.

The Clubhouse possesses a license to sell beer and wine, and with the addition of a new bar area, the owners hope to boost business and bring in a new clientele on a larger market, Dr. Darin Van Tassell, owner of The Clubhouse and international studies professor at Georgia Southern University, said.

“We are at the point where we want to up our game on the food and beverage side,” Van Tassell said.

The Clubhouse wants to draw in a new crowd of business by creating a new experience for more customers.

“Some people may think that it will change the ‘local’ feel of the Clubhouse, but I think it will be more of the Statesboro community coming together,” Colleen Tereniak, junior early childhood education major and Clubhouse guest, said.

“Even Chuck E. Cheeses sell beer and wine,” Tonia Fadden, food and beverage manager at The Clubhouse said. “This will be a better way of socializing in Statesboro without being at a bar.”

The Clubhouse’s guests have expressed concerns about alcohol around children. There has been no word on if there will be alcohol free spaces at The Clubhouse.

Families can easily dine at Spikes Sports Grill with or without the presence of alcohol.

“For those who don’t want alcohol to be part of their experience, I don’t think it will even be noticeable,” Van Tassell said.

“My only concern may be that the distance from campus will increase the number of students driving after drinking,” Clubhouse guest Jeffrey Thorpe said.

Construction to expand the new bar area will begin this summer.

No exact decision on a date has been made as to when the alcohol sales will begin, but Van Tassell is hopeful that the bar and grill will be ready before the fall semester. There will be a grand re-opening for Spikes Sports Grill when the bar is complete.

After the addition to the food and drink aspect, Van Tassell sees go-carts as the next phase for The Clubhouse in the next year.

“It is about experience not excess,” Van Tassell said. “I hope that our guests will continue to see The Clubhouse as a high-end experience.”