GSU athletics see increase in APR scores

•  

Will Cheney

The multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores for Georgia Southern University athletics have improved since the 2011-2012 academic year.

Eight programs improved their single-year scores. Golf, swimming and diving, women’s tennis, and volleyball all posted perfect scores of 1,000, with football and men’s basketball improving both their single-year and multi-year scores.

“We continue to see progress, not only in the multi-year APR scores, but also in the other indicators of academic success,” athletic director Tom Kleinlein said in a news release. “Over 190 student-athletes posted a 3.0 GPA or better in the spring, and the combined GPA for all student-athletes was a 3.03. The University has provided the resources and staff, and the hard work and dedication of our academic support team along with our coaches has continued to reinforce our primary commitment to making sure our student-athletes are excelling in their academic responsibilities.”

APR is a way for the programs to track the academic success and progress of their student-athletes.

Each student-athlete on scholarship accounts for four points every academic year, two for the fall semester and two for the spring semester. One point is given each semester for maintaining eligibility and the other for continued enrollment in the institution.