Women’s basketball adds two transfer forwards

James Farmer

Georgia Southern University women’s basketball coach Chris Vozab announced today that Patrice Butler (Norcross, Ga./Norcross) and Kelsey Corcoran (Middletown, Va./Miller School of Albermarle) will transfer to Georgia Southern and join the Eagle roster in the fall.

“We’re excited about adding two high-character student-athletes to our roster,” said Vozab. “Both Patrice and Kelsey embody the inherent values of our program and will bring an added dimension of athleticism, physicality and toughness to our team.”

Corcoran, a 6-foot-2 forward, will be wearing true blue for the Eagles after spending time at Utah State and will have two seasons of eligibility remaining. Corcoran played three seasons at Skyline High School in Front Royal, Va., where she averaged 14 points and 11 rebounds a game.

Corcoran’s resume also includes being an ESPN HoopGurlz three-star recruit.  She was named the tournament Most Valuable Player when she led the Miller School of Albermarle in Charlottesville, Va., to the AAA state championship title.

She played in five games as a freshman at Winthrop before transferring to Utah State, where she sat out last season.

A 6-foot-2 forward, Butler will become a part of Eagle Nation after one season at Furman and will have three seasons of eligibility remaining. Butler averaged 5.5 points and 3.0 rebounds a game as a freshman for the Paladins and shot a solid 52 percent from the field.

Butler’s resume includes being an ESPN HoopGurlz three-star recruit as a prep at Norcross High School and helping lead the Lady Blue Devils to the 2011 state championship.