MC Competition to select future hosts for events

Brandon Hill

Students will take turns with the mic today as they compete for a position as an MC for events at Georgia Southern University.

The GSU University Programming Board will host the 2013 MC Competition tonight at 6 p.m. in the Russell Union Theatre. The finalists of the competition will host an end-of-the-year festival.

The competition will determine who will be official UPB hosts and the winners will host all UPB-sponsored events like the Mr. and Miss Georgia Southern University Pageants, the Doo-Dah Homecoming Step Show and block parties, Brittany Bullock, UPB president and junior political science major, said.

“We’re looking for a solid host. Hopefully we’re going to get one girl and one guy,” Bullock said.

There is no cost to audition and the winners will become a paid employee of UPB for being the official UPB hosts.

At the competition, contestants will audition in front of a panel of judges using two different scripts, one formal and the other informal. During their turn, each contestant will have three to five minutes to show their personalities with each script.

Ideal candidates that the judges will be looking for include students who are outgoing, loud and talkative because sometimes at events the hosts may have to stall, Ashley Nixon, special events committee member and junior public relations and Spanish double-major, said.

“I really look for someone confident and comfortable with themselves so they can be confident with their crowd,” Nixon said.

The official hosts will be selected after the event. Judges for the competition are general members of UPB and the leadership team.

Nixon and Bullock both encourage students interested in public speaking and mass communication to enter the competition but emphasize that any student who likes being in front of a crowd can come participate.