Mr. GSU 2013 plans for year with title

• Mr. GSU 2013, James Johnson, takes the crown from Mr. GSU 2012 Terico Agnew.

Erinn Williams

After winning the title of Mr. GSU 2013, James Johnson plans to volunteer in campus activities and set an example for underclassmen to get involved as well.

Johnson, a junior business management major from Savannah, won the title of Mr. GSU 2013 and received the People’s Choice Award from his peers on Thursday.

“I was not involved in student activities during my freshman and sophomore years, and I missed out on many great opportunities, so I want to set an example for students to become involved early and make their voices heard,” Johnson said.

Johnson, who is a part of the student staff at the Office of Student Activities, plans to work with the Boys & Girls Club of Bulloch County, Keep Bulloch Beautiful and the Student Government Association.

“I’m still in awe that I won not only the votes of the judges but of the students, and with the encouragement of my family I plan to do great things with this title,” Johnson said.

Mr. GSU is an annual scholarship pageant hosted by the University Programming Board.  The winner receives $500, participates in spirit events with Miss GSU and is active in two or more community service events every month.

Johnson said, “Because of where I work, I receive a lot of information about events, and I let other students know about them. Now I have an opportunity to let others know on a larger scale.”