A taste of Carnival comes to GSU

• Courtesy of: sxc.hu

Erinn Williams

Sunday nights are usually quiet at Georgia Southern University, but that will change this weekend when the music, vibrant costumes and colorful culture of Carnival come to the Recreation Activity Center.

The festival is on April 28 from 5-8 p.m. at the RAC Pavilion and will kick off with a parade like actual Carnival celebrations in the Caribbean and Africa. Afro-Caribbean Carnival, which is being put on by the African Student Association and the United Caribbean Association, are selling tickets that are $3 for everyone before the event and $5 the day-of.

It features food, activities and vendors that will provide that real Carnival feel, as well as the music and dancers that Carnival is known for.

“We want to raise awareness about Carnival and bring something new to Statesboro. We want to raise people’s eyebrows so that people learn more about the different customs, ways and places that Carnival is celebrated,” Chinaka Herbert, senior public relations major, said.

Afro-Caribbean Carnival will end the festivities put on all week by both associations during Afro-Caribbean Week 2013, which began on Monday.

Carnival, which has its roots in African culture, is a festival widely celebrated throughout the world especially in the Caribbean with one of the largest celebrations being held in Trinidad and Tobago.

“I think it’s a good idea. It’s a great way to give Georgia Southern students a taste of the Caribbean,” Chaverle Noel, freshman nutrition and food science major, said.

Shekirah Rolle, freshman international studies major said, “We want people to get to really dance and listen to the music that we know and love.”