Fashion Menagerie not just another fashion group

Alexandra McCray

Fashion Menagerie began its first week of fashion today to build up to its fourth annual showcase.

The group has done a fashion showcase of student’s work, but this year the group organized a week to build-up an audience base.

The organization will continue the weeklong events until Thursday with the showcase and the first-ever Pop Up Shop. The Pop Up Shop will consist of sponsors from local businesses around Statesboro and Savannah.

Fashion Menagerie began its week of fashion with a Matte Monday, which focused on beauty, make-up and skincare, and was hosted by the local Statesboro Mary Kay director, Miah Glover, editor and creative director of Fashion Menagerie, said.

The upcoming events will include a Linked-In Social on Tuesday at 7 p.m at the School of Human Ecology building room 1005.

This will be a networking event for fashion students but is open to all majors. Students will gain insight from fashion industry professional’s first-hand experience, have their resumes critiqued and have a question and answer session, said Glover.

On Wednesday there will be a Style Off fashion competition in the Williams Center multipurpose room at 7p.m.

Students will be provided clothes from local consignment shop Madame Couture and given different themes. This will be a timed competition, and the student who styles their model to fit the theme the best will win.

Madame Couture will also judge and pick the winner of the Style Off, Glover said.

The last event will be Fashion Menagerie’s fourth Annual Showcase and first Annual Pop Up Shop on Thursday in the Russell Union ballroom at 7.pm. Local retailers, such as Cheeky Lingerie and Swimwear and Kathi Rich, will sell merchandise.