IAMGSU to perform the first student-produced show

Laurianna Cull

The Independent Arts Movement will present its first Vaudeville production that is completely coordinated by the group’s members.

“Vaudeville: Blind Tiger in the Big City” will be entirely student run with student actors, playwrights and directors. It is an original work written by Georgia Southern University students and is directed by Ron Barden, junior public relations major.

The play will feature multiple skits, songs and dances that are all connected to tell a unified story. The show will be held at 8 p.m. on Thursday in the multipurpose room of the Williams Center and is a free event.

“Everyone involved with Vaudeville has been putting in incredible effort, and I honestly think that the audience will see that during the show. This production wouldn’t have been possible without the work of a large number of amazingly talented people from different groups here at GSU. I can’t wait for the audience to see the final product,” Barden said.

It contains a good deal of physical comedy, witty jokes and quick one-liners. The students of GSU have been working since the beginning of this semester in January to imitate this style, as well as write an entirely new Vaudeville show.

Vaudeville introduces many new styles of comedy, solo acts and group numbers.

The style of Vaudeville is meant to be entertaining and is a very unique style of comedy that has been around since the 1800’s.

“I’m extremely excited to see GSU artists come together for such a big project. I expect everyone will be surprised by all the talent at GSU and hopefully will show support for the performance groups on campus,” Kadia Scott, president of IAMGSU, said.

This will be IAMGSU’s first Vaudeville show, and it has been a drastic change of pace from the group’s performances in the past.

Lauren Davis, promotion and event photographer, said, “Working with everyone has been an amazing experience and the show will definitely be worth seeing.”