Charleston fashion week welcomes GSU professor

Lindsey McCormick

Sewing and crafting alongside her grandmother sparked the beginning of a fashion career that will soon lead one professor’s work down the runway.

“Creativity was all around me, and I knew by the time that I reached high school that I wanted to pursue a career in fashion,” Hope Wallace, fashion merchandising and apparel design professor, said.

Hope Wallace was a little girl when she knew that she wanted to be a part of the hustle and bustle of the fashion world.

“My childhood was filled with fashionable figures. I grew up before it was cool to dress down, and I was amazed at how diverse a person could become just by dressing for events in their lives. Whether you want it to or not, your clothing and adornment makes a statement about you,” Wallace said.

Now, Wallace will be displaying clothing that she has been working on over the past three months, along with many other designers at the Charleston Fashion Week.

Wallace submitted photos in September of her clothing line to an emerging designer competition and was chosen to showcase her clothing in the show. CFW will be held this upcoming week from March 19 – 23 in downtown Charleston at Marion Square.

The clothing line is inspired by art deco colors and structure.  There is a lot of geometric seaming and some graphic prints. Black and white pieces are put into the designs and will be shown as well, Wallace said.

Wallace expects to gain some exposure from the show to help build her clothing brand. This experience will help Wallace see if she has a steady following toward her designs.

“I am excited, nervous, anxious and sleepy.  I hope that all of my garments are completed to my standards and that I get positive feedback from the industry judges,” Wallace said.

Many people on campus agree that Wallace more than deserves this opportunity.

“I know that she is definitely the hardest working person on campus. She is always teaching, working on her own projects and helping students with anything that they need,” Beth Meyers, fashion merchandising professor, said.

Wallace said, “I am just looking forward to the opportunity to showcase my work at such an amazing venue.”