Georgia Southern University announced a new payment plan option for tuition through Nelnet Business Solutions starting this summer.
“This new payment plan will offer students and their parents an additional option to spread their payments out, making college more affordable. Our goal is to not only recruit outstanding students but to encourage them to complete their degrees,” GSU President Brooks Keel said in a news release.
Students who enroll in the payment plan will pay 60 percent up front and then the remaining 40 percent within two months.
“The plan will cost an additional fifty dollars (per semester), but it is interest-free,” Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications Casey Jones said.
“One of the ways we can help is by offering them an opportunity to pay their tuition and fees over a period of time–something we feel like many of our parents and students, particularly those working full-time, will appreciate,” Keel said.
In addition to the strong push for summer enrollment and the summer job fair, which is held today in the Russell Union Ballroom from 9 a.m.–12 p.m., the payment plan option will be available during the summer semester to make summer terms more accessible.
“Students who are enrolled in summer classes by May 20 can use the payment plan option. Our goal is to make tuition more affordable for students and their families,” Jones said.
According to the news release, “students and parents will be offered flexible payment options including automatic bank payments and credit and debt card payments including American Express, Discover and MasterCard.”
“Lots of families are struggling with the economy. This will give families a peace of mind,” Jones said.
“(Payment plans) are just one more thing we can do to make students stay on track and make progress for graduation,” Jones said.
According to the news release, students will be able to finance up to $5,500 per semester and the funds can be applied to tuition, student fees, meal plans and on-campus housing.
Christian Flathman, associate vice president of marketing and communications, said, “All the pieces finally came together. It was great timing with people signing up for summer classes.”