Men’s tennis work to 2-2 over break

Lucas Baggett

While students left Statesboro for spring break, the Georgia Southern University men’s tennis team stayed busy, going 2-2 over the week.

The Eagles started off with an easy win, sweeping Southern Conference opponent The Citadel 7-0 in Charleston, S.C. on March 16.

The doubles team of senior Matthijs Verdam and sophomore Kyle Hoffman gave GSU its first win with a score of 8-3. A win by sophomore Andrew Dromsky and junior Oliver Webb clinched the doubles point for GSU.

Webb kept the momentum going for GSU with a 6-2, 6-0 win at the No. 4 singles position. Rayane Djouad followed Webb with another win at the No. 2 spot. Junior Marco Osorio sealed the match for the Eagles with a 6-2, 6-4 victory in the No. 5 singles position.

Three set thrillers by Hoffman, Verdam and Dromsky wrapped up the sweep for GSU.

After having no trouble with The Citadel, the Eagles and conference rival College of Charleston went down to the wire with the Cougars winning 3-4 on March 18 in Statesboro.

GSU was swept in doubles play, but split the singles points with the Cougars.

Djouad continued his success at No. 2 singles with a 6-1, 7-6 (8-6) win. Verdam and sophomore Albert Codina Sala gave GSU its second and third points of the day.

Following a tough loss, the Eagles earned a hard fought 4-3 win of its own, defeating Appalachian State on March 22 in Boone, N.C.

After being swept in doubles play for the second straight match, the Eagles needed to rally in singles play, which they did.  GSU battled back with winning four of the six singles points.

Hoffman and Codina Sala both won their singles match with 7-5, 7-5 victories. Osorio gave GSU the match with his 6-3, 6-4 win.

The Eagles wrapped up its play over spring break with a 2-5 loss to SoCon challenger Davidson College on March 23 in Davidson, N.C.

For the third straight match GSU was swept in doubles and had to rely on singles play.

Djouad picked up his sixth consecutive win with a score of 6-4, 6-4. He also leads the team with 10 wins on the season.  The only other win of the day for the Eagles came from Dromsky with a score of 7-6 (7-0), 6-1.

The Eagles fell to 7-6 on the season and 3-2 in the SoCon. GSU will play Furman today at 2 p.m. at the Hanner Tennis Complex.