Salesman on the edge of sanity

Laurianna Cull

The American Dream may not be enough for Willy Loman, who will be played by a Georgia Southern University professor in “The Death of a Salesman.”

“Death of a Salesman” will play at the Black Box Theater from Wednesday, Feb. 27 to Saturday, March 9.

“Death of a Salesman” is different from other shows performed at GSU because the cast does not solely consist of students. GSU theatre professor Jim Harbour will play Willy Loman, the main character in the show.

Harbour will be retiring after this semester, and “Death of a Salesman” will be his final role at GSU.

“It’s a huge role in terms of the sheer quantity of lines. The other thing about it is that it follows the character as his mind fractures, and he goes crazy,” Harbour said.

Many of the students acting in the show have either taken Harbour’s classes or been directed by him in a previous show. So, acting along side him proved to be a different experience for them.

“Working with Jim is a crazy experience. He’s been doing this longer than I’ve been alive. Having dialogue with him raises my potential ability to be the best actor I can be just by working with him,” Leonard Morrow, freshman theatre major and cast member, said.

“I’m in Jim’s acting class, and it’s interesting to see how he gets directed and how he directs his class. It’s very personal to work with a professor since he’s acting and not directing,” Lori Beth Dickey, freshman theatre major and cast member, said.

“Death of a Salesman” was first published in 1949 and has become a classic American tale since then.

“It’s a classical play and piece of American literature. People may not think they may be interested in watching a play, but they should educate themselves. Plus it’s just a good show. It’s really intense so it’s not just like a bunch of kids putting on a show, and it’s cheaper than a movie,” Julianna Norkus, junior theatre major and cast member, said.

Ticket prices are $5 for students, $10 for faculty and staff members and $15 for general admission.