SGA scholarship deadline approaching

Lauren Gorla

The Student Government Association is accepting applications for the John F. Nolen scholarship through 5 p.m. on Feb. 26.

Students can turn in the applications at the SGA office located on the second floor of the Russell Union.

The scholarship is awarded to five students who have demonstrated service, growth and achievement during their time at GSU.

Five $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to students at the Honor’s Day ceremony on April 3, and the students will also be invited to the SGA banquet, Dominique Quarles, Student Government Association president, said.

The application can be found online by going to the myInvolvement page found on the MyGeorgiaSouthern homepage.  Students can then proceed to the Student Government Association page and find the application there.

The application mainly focuses on a student’s service to their community, involvement and achievements.

The service section of the application focuses on agencies and organizations that the applicant has participated in, according to the scholarship application.

In addition to service, the selection committee is looking for extracurricular activity involvement and awards won while at Georgia Southern University, according to the application.

The selection committee consists of faculty and staff members, as well as SGA members. Members are a part of the committee because the scholarship is student-centered, and students should be involved in the selection process, Quarles said.

Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA and have been enrolled at GSU for two consecutive semesters with a minimum of 24 credit hours completed during those semesters, according to the application.

Along with the application, students must obtain two letters of recommendation that will be turned in with the application.

Quarles said, “The scholarship is in remembrance of former dean of students and vice president of student affairs, John F. Nolen.”