Club Sports Fair to be held on campus

• File PhotoThe GSU Fencing club informs students of all of their activities during the biannual Club Sports Fair. The Club Sports Fair takes place Tuesday at the RAC concourse.

Thomas O'Donnell

Georgia Southern University will hold its biannual Club Sports Fair on Jan. 22 from 6 to 8 p.m. on the RAC concourse where students can find club teams to join.

“A club sports fair is an opportunity for clubs to set up a table basically that has information about their club, so they can our student body know about what their club offers.” Emilie Buzhardt, club sports graduate assistant, said.

Club sports are unique student organizations in which the overall functions of the organization are student operated. They may be organized for instructional, recreational and/or competitive purposes, and offer a way of finding others who share similar recreational interests.

GSU holds a club sports fair every semester for students to gain information about what club sports are being offered that particular semester. All sorts of club sports come to the fair to show off their team to the student body, Club Sports Director Steve Sanders said.  Admission is free, so all students have to do is show up.

“The clubs are responsible for setting up their own tables and promoting their club,” Buzhardt said.

All the information that is needed about how to get into a club sport will be at each individual table. Sanders thinks that is really gives students a chance to have a face-to-face opportunity to meet with the officers and representatives of each sport, as well as getting information such as practice times.

“The clubs will have tryout information, practice information and game information at their tables,” Buzhardt said. “It’s a way that they can speak face to face with students that may not know anything about their club.”

The Club Sports Fair will offer a wide variety of clubs for the students to be a part of. These clubs will include but are not limited to:  Aikido, Archery, Baseball, Bowling, Climbing, Cycling, Equestrian, Fencing, Rugby, Soccer, Softball, Southern Explosion (dance), Tae-Kwon-Do, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Disc Golf, Swimming, Lacrosse, Mixed Martial Arts, Volleyball, Water Ski and Wrestling.

With such a wide variety of clubs to choose from, students are given an option to choose what interests them the most, and then they can pursue it. Sanders said that the top five sports students usually gravitate to are rugby, soccer, ultimate Frisbee, mixed martial arts and men’s lacrosse, but all of the sports do a good job of recruiting at the event.

Buzhardt said, “Soccer is always a popular one, and rugby usually does really well at the fairs. Not a whole lot of people know about rugby so that’s always great.”

Jackie Gutknecht contributed to this article.