Fraternity and Delta Phi Epsilon recruitment to begin

• Photo by: Tasha Lund

Phylicia Gallmon

With a new semester beginning at Georgia Southern University, recruitment for the Interfraternity Council and Delta Phi Epsilon will provide opportunities for students to be a part of the traditions of Greek Life on campus.

“Our fraternities in the Interfraternity Council will be hosting recruitment in the formalized sense January 28 through February 2. They will also be hanging out with people and giving out bits throughout the semester,” Jessica Turuc, Interim Director of fraternity and sorority relations, said.

“We are really focusing on getting students to go Greek,” Jake Rainey, senior public relations and marketing major and current member of the IFC, said.

The IFC will be on campus passing out flyers as well as hosting an info desk at the rotunda to recruit any guys who are interested or considering going Greek, Rainey said.

As far as sorority recruitment is concerned for this semester, the Panhellenic sororities will not be doing recruitment until the fall, however recruitment for Delta Phi Epsilon will be the same week as recruitment for the IFC, Turuc said.

“We want as many girls who are interested to and see what we are about,” Haley McGhee, sophomore journalism major and current member of Delta Phi Epsilon, said.

Delta Phi Epsilon will be holding an interest meeting in the Williams Center on Jan. 29.

The recruitment process varies depending on the fraternity or sorority, but there are a few things that each individual interested in joining should take note of, Susan Matheison, graduate assistant and Interfraternity Council Advisor, said.

“Get to know members of the community. Finding out what suits you best. You really would want to focus on academics as well as community service,” Matheison said.

Growth on campus is also major focus for this semester’s recruitment for Greeks on campus.

“We are always trying to grow, to better ourselves and the community,” McGhee said.

GSU has a rich history rooted within the 38 Greek organizations on its campus, and the traditions and standards of these organizations will continue on this semester, Turuc said.

“Part of our mission statement is service and philanthropic efforts, so that’s something we really push with our organizations, giving that hands on service and donating to charitable causes,” Turuc said.

Not only is service and leadership a huge part of the Greek life traditions, but GSU’s Greek organizations have a GPA is .2 above the average undergraduate student, Turuc said.

Rainey said the IFC along with Delta Phi Epsilon and other members of fraternities and sororities on GSU’s campus are really pushing and working towards improving the perception and image of Greeks on campus.