Intimate Patterns travel exhibit on display inside CAT

William Price

Beauty, sexuality, consumerism and modern culture stand on display at the Karen Ann Myers exhibit at the University Gallery, showcasing the complexity of women and the contrast of old culture versus new.

The gallery opened on the first day of class and will remain open until Feb. 24.“Intimate Patterns” is located in the University Gallery at the Center for Art & Theatre. The exhibit has been featured in magazines, journals and WebPages, most notably in “New American Paintings” and “Oxford American.”

“It’s really a feather in Georgia Southern’s cap to be able to display Karen Ann Myers’ work here,” Marc Mitchell, assistant professor and gallery director at Georgia Southern University, said.

The exhibition includes paintings, prints and collage drawings by the artist, ranging from 2009 to 2011.

“There’s an intimacy and a lusciousness that makes you question how you interpret her work,” Jessica Burke, assistant professor and director of foundation studies at GSU, said.

The exhibition gained national recognition from the art community with Myers being named one of the top 50 artists in the United States by “Oxford American” magazine.

Myers’ work looks at the intricacy of women through intimate observations of women in a bedroom setting.

“It’s great that we can bring contemporary, active artists to a region that doesn’t get much access to them,” Burke said.

Myers both critiques and celebrates the ideas of femininity, beauty and sexuality in modern culture, Mitchell said.

“She paints with very clear intent and in a way that challenges history and critiques society,” Mitchell said.

Myers’ work was noted to be highly accessible as well in a feature in “New American Paintings” magazine.

“All the paintings are very interesting, with the combination of the female body in the bedroom with a variety of patterns that make all the pieces go together,” Allen Johnson, PhD Public Health student, said.

“It’s different because the female figure is the focal point, but the environment she’s in is just as important,” Johnson said.

“It’s of the utmost importance for our students, faculty and community to be able to access a resource that has contemporary and sometimes confrontational exhibitions. It benefits everybody involved,” Burke said.

There will be an artist lecture on Thursday, Feb. 21 at 5 p.m. in room 2016 in the Arts Building. The event is completely open and free for students, faculty and the community.

Burke said, “It’s an absolutely fantastic gallery that has a lot of depth to it. Anyone with the opportunity should really go check it out. It’s a blessing to have such fantastic artwork on display, for free, here at GSU.”