Softball signs two new Eagles

•  

Jackie Gutknecht

The Georgia Southern University softball team has signed two new student-athletes in the early signing period for the 2013 recruiting class.

Morgan Robinson (Lilburn Ga.) and Emily Snider (Tennile Ga.) have decided to continue their careers collegiately by signing their National Letters of Intent to play as an Eagle.

“I am pleased to welcome Morgan and Emily into our program,” head coach Annie Smith said in a news release. “They are both outstanding athletes that will fill needs left by our graduating seniors. More importantly, they are great people that will represent the Eagle softball program in a first class manner.”

Robinson is a three-year starter at first base for Parkview High School. She has a .480 hitting percentage for her career and posted a .594 batting average last season. She tallied 20 doubles and eight home runs in her senior season to round out with a 1.050 slugging percentage.

Robinson currently holds 14 school records including single season batting average, on base percentage, slugging percentage, hits, doubles, home runs, walks and career batting average, hits, doubles, home runs, RBIs and runs scored.

“Morgan is one of the top high school hitters in the state of Georgia,” said Smith in a news release. “She had an awesome senior season and she continues to get better and better every time I see her play.  Morgan will be a great addition to our program and what we are trying to build here in Statesboro.”

Robinson is also a four-year athletic scholar at Parkview and earned All-State honors after the 2012 season. She was named Parkview Offensive Player of the Year, team MVP and All-Gwinnett County.

The Eagles also look forwards to adding Snider to the flock, as she joins after a standout career at The Brentwood School.

As a senior, Snider hit .512 with 27 stolen bases and 31 RBIs at third base for the War Eagles. She slugged .927 with eight triples and six doubles in the season.

“Emily has had an outstanding high school career and is really coming into her own as a softball player,” said Smith in a news release. “She is a versatile athlete with good speed. She will be able to come in and help us at multiple spots on the field. Her athleticism will be a great asset to our program.”

Snider was selected All-State and All-Region after the 2011 season and she was named to the Middle Georgia All-State team. She played her 2009 and 2010 seasons at Washington County High School, where she earned all-region honors in 2010 and Offensive Player of the Year in 2009.