Two new Eagles set to soar in 2013

Shakeem Holloway

Georgia Southern University men’s basketball team will add two star players from the Recruiting class of 2013; Delano Spencer and Glen Pierre have signed national letters of intent to play for GSU.

Spencer is a two-star shooting guard from Norcross, Ga. who averaged 17 points per game and 3.7 assists last season at Greater Atlanta Christian High School.

Pierre is a center out of Tampa, Fla. Pierre transferred to Oldsmar Christian High School after playing his first three years of high school basketball at East River High School in Orlando.

“These two guys are the start of a very good recruiting class,” head coach Charlton Young said in a press release. “Both of these are championship people from very good families that can have very successful careers here at Georgia Southern.”

Spencer is a combo guard standing at six feet three inches tall and a strong shooter from the perimeter. Spencer turned down offers from Auburn University, Furman University and St. Joseph’s University to play at GSU.

“Delano brings a tremendous amount of versatility to our program,” Young said in a press release.

Spencer is a standout player in three sports. He was a dual-threat quarterback for GAC’s football team and entered his senior season as a highly touted baseball prospect.

“He is a three-sport star and could have signed Division One in football, basketball or baseball. We’re also excited about the success he’s had at the national level. He’s competed at the national level in AAU as well as high school basketball, and he has the chance to be very successful here at Georgia Southern,” Young said in a press release.

Standing at six feet 11 inches tall, Pierre will bring shot blocking ability and rare size to GSU.

“Glen is the first true center that we’ve signed in over a decade at Georgia Southern,” Young said in a press release. “We have not had that kind of size in the program and that kind of size that is skilled in a long time.”

At 2-5, the Eagles are looking to turn their season around this season and will play Brewton-Parker College at Hanner Fieldhouse at 7 p.m. on Saturday.