Students put to test at World Aids Day 2012 event

Phylicia Gallmon

Atlanta’s acting troupe Cre8tive Nsights took a trip down to Georgia Southern University Tuesday night to send a precautionary message using song, poetry and a skit pertaining to AIDS and HIV as a part of this year’s World AIDS Day 2012.

Cre8ive Nsights is an acting troupe from Atlanta, Ga., and they came down and performed an excerpt from their play entitled “Beyond Betrayal,” which emphasizes different methods of transmission of HIV/AIDS and information about the many misconceptions.

“Losing so many people in the 80s to the AIDS epidemic, I’ve lost family and friends and seeing the way it has been hitting us. Not wanting that same thing to continue happening is very personal to me,” Nykieria Chaney, the writer and director of “Beyond Betrayal,” said.

Student organizations worked together to bring Cre8ive Nsights to campus.

With the absence of a dedicated group to organize a World AIDS Day event at GSU, this event was an opportunity for student organizations to use their leadership and influence on campus to promote HIV/AIDS awareness.

“The influence that we have on this campus, we wanted to use it to attract people to this event so they can become aware of the HIV epidemic and know that you should know your status, get tested and spread the word,” Koren Tate, president of the Xi Eta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., said.

“By us helping with this cause, it leaves us with a good benefit knowing that we actually got people out there to figure out whether they are safe and how to stay protected instead of waiting until something bad happens,” Courtney Stanten, the vice president of the Student African American Sisterhood said.

The Xi Eta Chapter and SAAS collaborated with Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., African Student Association, Black Student Nursing Association, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, National Council for Negro Women and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. in putting this event together.

With some professors offering extra credit for attendance, some students turned out simply looking for attendance verification, but students like sophomore business major Natalie Callahan left more informed about AIDS and HIV than they were before.

“Everyone always hears about AIDS, but I’ve never really learned that much about it, like personal account. I’m not sure how I’m going to relate it to American Government, but I think it was good just for me to come anyways,” Callahan said.

Other students came for the opportunity to know their status through the free testing offered at the event.

Taylor Longo, sophomore pre-nursing major, said, “I just came here basically because it was free. Why not get tested? Might as well.”