Volleyball looks to continue winning streak at home

Katie Tolbert

The Georgia Southern University volleyball team (20-6) returns home to play Western Carolina University (8-19) on Saturday at 7 p.m. and Davidson College (9-13) on Monday at 6 p.m. in hopes to continue its eight game win streak.

The Eagles have won eight consecutive matches coming in to this match against WCU, making GSU 11-1 in the Southern Conference and first in the SoCon south division.

The eighth win of the streak was the Eagles’ 20th win of the season, which has only happened 10 times in GSU’s history. WCU is coming off of three losses against teams that GSU has previously defeated.

Leading the Eagles is senior outside hitter Meredith Paskert with 336 season kills and senior outside hitter Moriah Bellissimo with 257 season kills. Freshman libaro Alexandra Beecher has posted 459 season digs and just won her third SoCon award of the season.

Leading the Catamounts to this challenge of a match is sophomore outside hitter Caitlin Piechota with 279 season kills and sophomore outside hitter Jordan Timmermann with 270 season kills. On the defensive side, junior libaro Morgan Cochran has 519 season digs.

At the net for the Catamounts is sophomore middle Addy George, leading the team with 70 blocks so far this season averaging .85 blocks per set. The Eagles have top blocker sophomore middle Kym Coley, who currently has 75 season blocks and averages .81 blocks per set.

After daybreak, the Eagles face the Wildcats who are 5-7 in the conference and hold a 3-6 record on the road. Before facing the Eagles, the Wildcats have to take on Appalachian State University, which pose as a threat, as well as GSU who already defeated the Wildcats once.

Up at the net, junior outside hitter Caroline Brown has posted 313 kills and junior middle hitter Tindall Sewell has posted 228 kills. Defending for the Wildcats is senior libaro Molly Crenshaw with 438 season digs and Brown with 334 season digs.

Assisting the Eagles is senior setter Kate Van Dyke. Van Dyke currently holds the career set record for GSU and is leading the team with 1067 season assists. Leading the Wildcats in assists is senior setter Ariel Ley with 892 season assists.

GSU and DC are equally matched when it comes to serving abilities. Junior outside hitter Caroline Brown leads DC in service aces with 26 so far this season, averaging .30 per set.  Leading the Eagles is Beecher with 27 and averaging .27 per set.

Continuing to finish GSU’s final home games of the regular season, the Eagles will be playing Furman University on Friday, Nov. 9 at 6 p.m. and Wofford University on Saturday, Nov. 10 at 6 p.m.

Jackie Gutknecht contributed to this article.