Parade to kick off Homecoming weekend

Jake Hunsbusher

Tomorrow, tradition and fun will ensue as the first Georgia Southern University hosted Homecoming parade kicks off an activity-filled weekend.

The parade will begin at 4 p.m. at Allen E. Paulson Stadium.

“The traditional parade route starts at Paulson Stadium and ends at Sweetheart Circle. We have around 76 entries in the parade this year who will be getting judged on their floats, Krazy Karts, characters and walking banners,” Memory Littles, Student Activities coordinator, said.

The parade is a tradition, but this year’s parade is a lot different than those before it.

“This will be the first university hosted parade, so that’s pretty cool. Previously we didn’t host the parade or have much to do with it,” Laila Abdallah, senior Spanish and biology major and president of the University Programming Board, said.

The University Programming Board has been working hard on making the parade a fun experience for everyone, Abdallah said.

The parade means a lot to people both those in the community and on campus, Littles said.

“The parade is one of the last events during homecoming week, and it signifies the wrapping up of the entire week for everyone involved,” Littles said.

Abdallah has high hopes for this year’s parade and expects a high turnout.

“Well my biggest thing is larger attendance at the parade. My personal goal is to get as many people as possible, just as many students involved as possible,” Abdallah said.

Both Little and Abdallah showed great concern in making sure that people knew that this was an event meant for the community, not just for GSU students and that everyone is encouraged to attend.

“This is an opportunity for the Statesboro community to come in and join with the campus community and celebrate the weeks events. It’s a great time to show the true blue spirit,” Littles said.

Abdallah said, “We’ve put a lot of work into this event, and I just want everyone to know that it will be fun and awesome and super exciting.”